Wednesday 4 January 2017

Wedding Proposal on a Budget

When you don't have a friend who can carve a masterpiece out of wood, don't have a thousand pounds to spend on Photoshop and don't want to try and obtain a knock off copy.  The next best thing is to make your own using a cheap Monopoly board found on eBay or something similar, and a print shop.

What you need:

  1. Cheap Monopoly board (from eBAY for example)
  2. Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net/index.html) FREE
  3. OpenOffice  (https://www.openoffice.org/) FREE
  4. A local print shop
I personally own MS Word and have suggest Open Office as the next best thing.

I read various blogs on how to get started then Google'd the details on the etc...
  1. Dimensions: 15.7 inches long, 10.5 wide and 2.0 inches high
    1. The JPG Demensions:
  2. Font: Sans Serif, Light, Bold & Bold Inline
    1. For a free version, go here:
  3. How Many Cards of Chance & Community Chest: 16 each
  4. The Board Design: UK Version
    1. http://c8.alamy.com/comp/E6K3R2/monopoly-the-original-uk-version-of-the-popular-property-trading-board-E6K3R2.jpg
    • This was to see the positioning of the property titles
  5. Refill site: From Hasbro: US Site
  6. Trick Dice: Rolls a 7 or 11
The original font costs money so have added the next best version of the Sans Serif.

I will be using an extra Chance card together with the trick dice so that my girlfriend will land hopefully on Chance on the first go by rolling a 7, or a few rolls (11+11).  There's a few possibilities where she'll land on Chance.

Right now I have just created the board that took me approximately three hours.  Once it's been produced I'll upload photos.

Essentially, I'm going to use a local Print shop, the kind that does those signs for shops, business cards, and the like, to create a sticker of the board using the dimensions above, handily I found a picture with the correct measurements.

Then I'll buy the cheap board, carefully remove the top and stick on the replacement cover.

I'm going to work on the cards this evening.

As I'm writing this blog on the day I've started, I have a little over 5 weeks to get this done before St. Valentine's day.  Also, I need to ask her father for permission too.

Hopefully this won't get too stressful!

No comments:

Post a Comment